Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Tuesday legalizing electric scooters in Florida.
House Bill 453 takes effect immediately. It allows e-scooter companies to operate anywhere under the regulation of Florida counties, cities and towns.
HB 453 sponsors are from the Tampa Bay area. State Rep. Jackie Toledo, D-Tampa, sponsored the House version. State Sen. Jeff Brandes, R-St. Petersburg, sponsored the Senate version.
In May, the city of Tampa launched its e-scooter pilot program. Four vendors – Spin, JUMP, Bird and Lime – operate in Tampa.
What other people are reading right now:
- Nearly half of young people aren't using deodorant, poll finds
- Mom charged with homicide nearly a decade after 4-year-old girl's death
- New Jersey man found dead in the Dominican Republic; 9th American tourist to die in country
- Hernando County pizza restaurant customers may have been exposed to hepatitis A
- Acting defense secretary explains why he withdrew from leading Pentagon