An elderly woman was transported to the hospital after a structure fire started on the first floor at the Beachwood Apartment complex on Saturday, according to JFRD.
JFRD said the call came in about the fire at 5:20 p.m. JFRD said the elderly woman has life-threatening injuries, and a dog living inside the apartment died.
A neighbor, Isabel Aguero, said she noticed something was wrong when she saw smoke coming up to her apartment on the second floor.
“Yo estaba viendo televisión y yo veo ese humo que está subiendo para arriba,” said Aguero in Spanish.
She says she dialed 911 and saw the woman getting pulled out of her apartment in a stretcher.
District Chief Roger Lewis with JFRD says when firefighters arrived on the scene there was a small fire inside the apartment and the elderly woman was unable to get out herself.
The woman was transported to UF Shands.
Fire Update: according to victim's niece, elderly woman was smoking cigarette when her oxygen mask exploded causing fire @FCN2go— Janny Rodriguez (@JRodriguezFCN) January 14, 2017