Thomas Jefferson pool on the Westside is closed after a city pool worker was exposed to chlorine gas Monday afternoon.

According to officials, a worker was cleaning the pool's mechanical room when he was overcome by fumes. He was taken to a nearby hospital in stable condition and is expected to recover.

jacksonavechemical_1531154798850.png

Hazmat crews partially blocked off the 3-hundred block of Jackson Avenue as they drained the leaking tank. The pool will remain closed until further notice.

According to records, Thomas Jefferson marks the third pool to close from chlorine related issues.

City officials said public pools are tested and recorded in daily logs, and that excessive weather conditions (rain and heat) can create an imbalance in pool water levels, requiring restricted access as maintenance is conducted.