The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office says they have identified the woman found dead in a charred porta-potty on Saturday in St. Augustine.
The woman has been identified as, Denise Victoria McQuaig, 62, of St. Augustine, according to deputies.
Following interviews with people familiar with McQuaig and evidence at the scene, deputies say that foul play is not believed to be a factor in the case at this time.
The official cause of death is pending the return of toxicology results to the Medical Examiner’s Office.
The St. Johns County Fire and Rescue Department was called out to the scene at about 7:30 a.m. for a porta-potty that was on fire at a home that was under construction, according to the sheriff's office.
Neighbors in the area said they heard a loud boom around 6:30 a.m. Jan Long lives on the property adjacent to the new home construction site where the toilet was placed.
A large charred spot and some debris were all that remained in the bushy area where the toilet was located between Long's home and the construction site.
The owner of the under-construction home, who asked not to be interviewed, said there were no workers present at the time.
An official with SJSO initially said it is possible that the victim was smoking in the portable toilet, which may have ignited fumes from the toilet.