Breaking News
More () »

Jacksonville's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Jacksonville, Florida | FirstCoastNews.com

William Wells, the Monster of Mayport, currently serving six life sentences, also facing another first-degree murder charge

William Wells called First Coast News in 2003, to confess to killing five people in Mayport.

*This story was originally published on Oct. 31, 2011*

MAYPORT, Fla. -- It was May 2003, but many can remember the horror like it was yesterday. 

William Wells called First Coast News in 2003, to confess to killing five people in Mayport.

"And she goes, 'now what are you going to do?' And I stuck it to the back of her head and I said, 'this', and I pulled the trigger and it went off. And I literally, literally defecated my pants. I watched her face spray against the wall in front of me and she fell over," Wells said during a phone interview in 2003. 

Wells, who dubbed himself the Monster of Mayport, killed five people in his double-wide mobile home on Ocean Street, hiding the decomposing bodies in his home for more than a week.

Wells pleaded guilty to shooting his wife, Irene Wells; his father-in-law, Bill McMains; his brother-in-law John McMains; and two other men, Richard Reese and James Young.

Investigators found dead bodies in nearly every room of his home. Wells' 4-year-old son lived in the home while the bodies decomposed.

Now, on the quiet streets of Mayport, family members of victims, and just about everyone else know the story but no one wants to talk on camera about Wells, the man who changed the Village of Mayport forever.

"I fired a round around the corner, which caught him in the side of the head, when I looked around the corner he was holding his head and blood was pouring out," said Wells of one of his victims during the 2003 phone call.

"I shot him in the side of the head and drug him on into my son's room. I just fired, I still don't even know where I shot him at. If I shot him in the head or the chest or the neck. I don't know where I hit him - in head or chest or the neck," said Wells.

Harry Shorstein, former 4th Judicial Circuit state attorney called the case "extremely egregious."

Shorstein was the state attorney who helped oversee Wells' prosecution. "It's a case that looking at the facts warrants seeking the death penalty. But when you give consideration to the other factors, the legal factors, as well as the wishes of the family, and the offer to plead guilty and to have the case disposed of very, very quickly..." he said.

Well's life was spared. He reached out to First Coast News again with a letter on Aug. 10, bragging about his accomplishments. 

"Contrary to the elements of your justice system I managed to prevail with a mere 5 life sentences," he wrote.

"Since that time I have spent my glorious days basking in the beautiful rays of Florida State Prison," Wells wrote. "Where I have relived my 2003 escapade."

Those escapades have not ended in Mayport. In 2003, while being held at a South Florida prison, Wells was convicted of attempted murder of a fellow inmate, and given a sixth life sentence. "I have since tied and strangled an inmate while excitedly stabbing him 21 times," he wrote.

In another incident, according to the 8th Judicial Circuit, the Monster of Mayport is accused of murdering again. Of the attack on fellow inmate, 21-year-old Xavier Rodriguez, Wells wrote, "...myself and an accomplice bound, strangled and killed yet another inmate...So I guess my quest for the lethal injection continues."

Shorstein said Wells' illness is apparent. "It's very obvious that he suffers from severe mental disorder, which are factors that in and of themselves can prohibit the ultimate imposition of the death penalty," he said.

Wells also blames prosecutors in his original case, including Shorstein, for more people dying. He wrote that if they were "more thorough in convicting me in 2003 of the Mayport murders and pushing fervently for the death penalty, no one else would have had to die."

But Shorstein said that almost no one is executed within five years of sentencing. "If anyone were to think that had we sought the death penalty these subsequent acts wouldn't have occurred, it would really be foolhardy..."

Wells also takes a jab at the lawyers at the 8th Judicial Circuit working on prosecuting him on the latest murder charge. "I find it very unsettling how the DA's office here in Bradford County seems to have sweeped this case under the rug, since it is only a useless worthless inmate anyway, society could care less, right?"

A requested prison interview with Wells was denied because of the recent first degree murder charges, said Steve Arthur, a spokesperson for the Department of Corrections.

Attorneys at the 8th Circuit cannot talk about the this case because it is active, but Spencer Mann, the chief investigator at the State Attorney's Office said they are preparing for trial and expect the case to go to court sometime next year.