JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Aiden Fucci, the St. Johns County 16-year-old facing the possibility of life in prison for the murder of 13-year-old Tristyn Bailey, will stand trial starting Monday.
Jury selection will begin in the morning and is expected to last several days.
The case captured national attention in May 2021 as graphic, grizzly details of Tristyn's murder became public. Police said the 13-year-old, who was the beloved youngest of her family and beloved as a cheerleader at her school, was stabbed 114 times.
Her accused killer, Fucci, was 14 at the time she was killed; his age and his bizarre behavior following his arrest made headlines around the country. Particularly a Snapchat selfie he took from the back of a patrol car -- asking if anybody "had seen Tristan."
As the State of Florida vs. Fucci is set to begin Monday, here is a timeline of the past year and nine months since Tristyn's death.
For everything you need to know about this case, click here.
MAY 9, 2021
- Tristyn is last seen by her sister just after midnight
- Tristyn is last picked up on surveillance footage just before 2 a.m.
- Tristyn is reported missing at 10 a.m.
- Tristyn's body is found by a neighbor in the evening
MAY 10, 2021
- Fucci arrested
- Snapchat selfie of Fucci in the back of a cop car becomes public
MAY 11, 2021
- Fucci appears in court for the first time, judge finds probable cause to charge him with second-degree murder
MAY 12, 2021
- Then-St. Johns County Sheriff Hardwick says Fucci is not cooperating and announces Tristan's cause of death as stabbing
MAY 17, 2021
- Fucci's first attorney files to withdraw as counsel
MAY 19, 2021
- Family, friends and community members pay tribute to Tristyn Bailey at her celebration of life
MAY 20, 2021
- Fucci's parents granted indigent status
- Fucci's first attorney officially withdraws
MAY 27, 2021
- Fucci's charges are upgraded to first-degree murder; he will now be tried as an adult
- New information released, State Attorney shares that Tristyn was stabbed 114 times
- The Bailey family releases a statement on the case
JUNE 3, 2021
- Documents released showing Fucci pleads not guilty
JUNE 5, 2021
- Aiden's mother, Crystal Smith, turns herself in to authorities on tampering charges
- Later that day, Smith is released on bond
JULY 14, 2021
- Evidence is released, showing writing was found on Tristyn's body
JULY 16, 2021
- More evidence is released, detailing timeline of events in the investigation
- Fucci waives right to a speedy trial
JULY 23, 2021
- Crystal Smith, Aiden Fucci's mother, pleads not guilty to tampering charges
AUGUST 25, 2021
- Snapchat images, surveillance videos released
SEPTEMBER 1, 2021
- Aiden appears unsettled, rambling in court appearance, says "I won't let you demons take my soul," leading to speculation about his mental health
MAY 9, 2022
The anniversary of Tristyn's death, hundreds gather to honor her
June 30, 2022
- New documents reveal that a friend of Fucci's said in an interview that the murder was "100% premeditated" and "prompted by jealousy"
JULY 7, 2022
- Fucci's defense team seeks to muzzle witnesses
JULY 21, 2022
- Court filing shows that Fucci has refused to consent to polygraph test
JULY 25, 2022
- Defense team asks to push back trial (at this time, set for November)
JULY 26, 2022
- First Coast News confirms a survey was sent to St. Johns County residents by Fucci's attorneys
AUGUST 19, 2022
- Trial officially delayed until 2023
NOVEMBER 21, 2022
- Documents show Fucci is claiming to experience "torture" in jail
NOVEMBER 29, 2022
- Aiden Fucci's lawyers ask for a change of venue due to "community hostility"
- Lawyers file hundreds of pages of news clips in support of venue change request for Aiden Fucci
DECEMBER 13, 2022
- Judge denies motion to move Aiden Fucci out of Duval County after attorneys claim "ongoing torture"
JANUARY 20, 2023
- Judge says Aiden Fucci is not entitled to a 12-person jury
JANUARY 26, 2023
- First Coast News obtains documents showing Fucci is extorting other inmates
FEBRUARY 1, 2023
Defense asks for another trial delay. This request is denied
FEBRUARY 3, 2023
- Photos of knife allegedly used in stabbing of Tristyn Bailey made public
- Interviews with Fucci's classmates released
FEBRUARY 6, 2023
- Jury selection to start