AUSTIN, Texas — Editor’s note: Days after the mass shooting, the Austin Police Department identified a suspect who had been charged in connection to the shooting. The Travis County district attorney and APD later dropped all charges against that person. KVUE has removed that person’s mugshot and name from all web stories.
Officials said they arrested a juvenile in the Austin mass shooting on Sixth Street and it is not clear what charges they may face.
Police released the detained suspect's age (15) on June 17, and because he is not an adult, his identity and court records in the case likely will remain confidential.
The mass shooting occurred early Saturday in Downtown Austin. More than a dozen victims were injured. APD said 12 of the victims will be OK and two were in critical condition. On Sunday, KVUE's Tony Plohetski confirmed one of the 15 people shot had died.
The victim was a man vacationing to Austin from New York, Plohetski confirmed. Police identified the victim Sunday as 25-year-old Douglas John Kantor. KVUE spoke with Kantor's brother about their family's loss. You can see the family's statement here.
According to APD, no motive for the shooting has yet been discovered and they say this is an isolated incident.
The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) also confirmed to KVUE that it has been working with the APD in connection to this shooting. The TABC has initiated a TRACE (Target Responsibility for Alcohol-Connected Emergencies) investigation that is ongoing. TRACE investigations are initiated when someone is seriously hurt in connection with a possible alcohol-related incident, such as fatal DWI crashes, shootings and sexual assaults involving overserved customers.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed the shooting or what happened before the shooting is asked to call 911 or the police tip line at 512-472-TIPS.
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: