Breaking News
More () »

15-year-old boy recounts moments his cousin was shot, killed sitting next to him

Trevor Gray’s death was the first murder JSO worked in 2019. His cousin describes being in the car when he was killed.

Trevor Gray was shot and killed at the corner of St. Johns Bluff Road and Atlantic Boulevard on Jan. 2 after police said Izhaan Scott, 18, shot at him while they were in their cars.

It started with a fight just down the street at a Circle K on St. Johns Bluff, that Trevor Gray's family said he had nothing to do with. 

Fifteen-year-old Charles Lyodschuoz Jr., Trevor Gray's cousin, was in the car when Trevor Gray was shot.

"A car pulled up behind us and started shooting,” he said.

"Nobody thinks they're going to bury their kid,” Gray's mom, Tina Gray said. 

Police said one of Trevor Gray's friends, Charles, was fighting with Scott. They both left the fight in their car and that's when Scott followed them, JSO said in the police report.

"Trevor wasn't even involved,” Tina Gray said. “He pumped his gas, jumped back in the car, and drove off."

The police report states that Scott shot into the car multiple times at the corner of Atlantic Boulevard, hitting Trevor Gray.

"His foot slipped from the brake pedal onto the gas which made him go - and he ended up rear-ending a car,” Tina Gray said. 

Tina Gray said the driver of that car got out and helped Trevor Gray. 

“I'd really like to reach out to those that were involved and get some kind of closure, and just thank them for everything they did for my kid in his last moments," she said.

A vigil was held Monday night on the same street corner where Trevor gray died. Lyodschuoz said he remembers running from the car after the shooting, and watching bystanders come to his cousin's aid. 

At the vigil, loved ones lit candles, shared stories, prayed and mourned together. 

Tina Gray said she is tired of the gun violence in Jacksonville, to which she has now fallen victim herself. 

"There's got to be other ways to solve differences," she said. "Ending people's lives is not it."

Police arrested Scott two days after the shooting. He was charged with murder and two counts of attempted murder. Trevor Gray's family said the two have known each other since middle school.

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out