Breaking News
More () »

Duval County businesses can apply for up to $10,000 to pay for rent, mortgage

Duval County businesses facing eviction can get some help from Jacksonville's CARES Act money. Applications open Dec. 10 at noon.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla — The second phase of help is on the way for people facing eviction or foreclosure due to COVID-19 financial struggles in Duval County.  

It's called the Commercial Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Program. The Jacksonville Bar Association is administering the program based on a similar successful program in Orlando.

Starting at noon on December 10, businesses can apply at JacksonvilleCares.com. 

Businesses are eligible for up to $10,000 that would go to pay for rent or mortgage payments that are due.  

If your application gets approved, the money would go directly to your landlord or mortgage lender so there is no uncertainty about where the money is going.

Applications will be processes first come first serve, though the processing could take about a month. To review the criteria and documents necessary to apply, click here

RELATED: Duval County residents can apply for up to $5,000 to pay for rent, mortgage

Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry says the city put aside $5.3 million dollars from the CARES Act for this program. Roughly 75% of it will go to households facing evictions, the other 25% will go to businesses. 

“Lockdowns were government-imposed so no individual and no business did anything to disrupt their level of income," Curry said. "This was all government-imposed to keep people safe. Now it is up to us at the federal state and local level to help people get back on their feet.”

Curry says there are about 8,000 eviction filings in the county currently.

RELATED: How you can avoid holiday debt going into 2021

Paid Advertisement

Before You Leave, Check This Out