It's the week of the year in Jacksonville when we celebrate Local and Regional Craft beers...and boy oh boy are there some spectacular events planned. I can't cover everything in one article, so I will give you some highlights and direct you to the Jax Beer Society page to cover everything.
By the way, the Jax Beer Society is an awesome group founded by our local breweries, beer bars, beer distributors and just plain ole beer drinkers to promote the local beer scene. They offer a lot of events and inside info, not to mention coordinate Jax Beer Week.
SATURDAY September 17
- If you haven't made it to Intuition's new Bay Street facility, why not give it a go on Saturday? Tickets for Intuition's Oktoberfest will be available at the door. I stopped in their facility on opening day after work. It is as cool inside as it looks from the outside. Parking is sparse at the facility, however there is a parking garage right next door to the Arena, which is a short walk from Intuition. Considering the issues with parking on Kings Street, this is an easy walk! Also consider car pooling or Uber.
- The Brew Bus is doing a run Saturday too, going to Veterans United, Engine 15 and Pinglehead. It is a moving party, beer on the bus is encouraged. Pick up is next to the Tinseltown Movie Theater. Tickets are required. The Brew Bus offers tours like this on Saturdays, so if you can't make this one, check out another trip. And the Brew Bus brews award winning beer too!
If you haven't been to Pinglehead, inside Brewer's Pizza Orange Park, you are missing a treat. They make some really outstanding beers in a little unassuming strip mall on Blanding Blvd. Taking the Brew Bus lets someone else tangle with the OP traffic. Its a win-win!
SUNDAY September 18
- Sunday, San Marco's The Bearded Pig has a supper planned as a fundraiser for Greenscape. Aardwolf and The Bearded Pig owners will give a guided tour of session beer and BBQ. Included is a brewery tour, BBQ and beer. Tickets are available at $40 here for Session Beer and BBQ.
- Sunday its a bottle share event at Alewife. At 3pm Bring a bottle or buy one there to share with other patrons. Bottle shares are great ways to try new beers. Before the Aardwolf El Mariachi bottle release, there was an informal bottle share. I saw multiple bottles I haven't even seen in Florida before. I can't guarantee this is the situation at Alewife, but it is a great opportunity to meet new friends and try new beers.
MONDAY September 19
- All week long, the Kitchen on San Marco is offering Local beer flights, specials on local beers and raffles. Even Beer cocktails.
- 5pm head over to Intuition Ale Works for the JBS collaboration beer release, "Soured Society". 8 of the founding brewers of the Jax Beer Society gathered at Intuition's King Street facility to jointly brew this special beer for Beer week. The tapping of the first keg will be at Intuition on Bay.
- Alewife is hosting Aardwolf Monday at 6pm for Barrels, Foudres and Beer, an exploration of barrel aging. If you haven't been to Aardwolf and seen their Foudres system, it is impressive. These are large, casks for aging beer. You'll sample several varieties of aged beer and learn about the process.
TUESDAY September 20
- The Green Room Brewing begins their daily bottle release of Yates Manifesto Imperial Stout starting at 4pm. Each day 100 bombers and some draft of each variation will be available.
- 6pm Really Good Beer Stop, Jax Beach is hosting Sixpoint Brewing pint night. Free samples and swag from Sixpoint and if you buy a beer, you'll get a slice of Biggie's Pizza. I mean pizza and beer people!
- 6pm at BREW 5 points is having a coffee beer release. They will have 4 coffee beer combos available, as well as their normal beer and coffee menu items.
- 6pm Alewife will host Tapa That and Cigar City Brewing for a Beer Dinner. Get your tickets here, quickly before they are sold out.
WEDNESDAY September 21
- 5pm Beer 30 Riverside is hosting an Engine 15 Spotlight and Game Night: Flash Point. Drink E15 beer and play games! Meanwhile Engine 15 is hosting Alpine Brewing for pint night at Jacksonville Beach starting at 5. Buy a pint, get a glass.
- 7pm Brewz is spotlighting Aardwolf with some specialty brews not normally found outside the San Marco facility. Swag, raffles every half hour for free beer, leading up to two big prizes, a gift basket from Aardwolf and a 5 person guided tour of the brewery with free beer! That drawing is at 9pm and you must be present to win.
THURSDAY September 22
- 6pm at Really Good Beer Stop, a free sampling, swag give away and meet the brewers for Jax Beach's next new Brewery Southern Swells. The brewery and brew pub will be located on Beach Blvd in the Beaches Plaza near Penman Road. No firm opening datea, but you can try their brew early. Due to the number of people anticipated and the size of RGBS, only 50 people per hour will be allowed in for the sampling. The event ends at 9pm.
- Aardwolf is releasing their Oktoberfest beer, "Aartoberfest" beer and will have giveaways.
- Engine 15 starting at 4pm is releasing several barrel aged beers, including barrel aged Nut Sack and even possibly Chupacabra (which everyone knows is my favorite)
- Alewife is hosting a Farmhouse Cider and Artisanal Cheese pairing, starting at 6pm. Look here for ticket information.
- 7pm over in Nocatee, head to Dick's Wings for a Veterans United tap takeover.
FRIDAY September 23
- If you can't make it to Intuition for the Collaboration beer on Monday, Brixx Wood Fired Pizza at 220 Riverside will tap a keg of Soured Society at 6pm
- MIA Brewing spotlight at Beer :30 San Marco. And if you like MIA, new to the market from Miami, there is a Beer Dinner Saturday night at Super Food and Brew in Downtown. Check it out here.
SATURDAY September 24
- MASH IN starting at 1pm at Engine 15's Myrtle Street complex. Tickets give unlimited sampling of beer and food. VIP includes a lunch. Taco Lu on site selling food as well. A commenerative glass is also included. All the local breweries and other sponsors of Jax Beer Week will be there to celebrate. Get tickets here.
There are far more events than I can print. Events for Bicyclists, Dogs, Sour Beers, etc. I encourage you to see the full activities list at Jax Beer Society and as I find more I will continue to #FirstCoastBrews on Facebook and Twitter.
Cheers y'all and please if you are partaking in these events, consider Uber or a designated driver!