MINNEAPOLIS — Celebrity after celebrity has spoken out against the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man in Minneapolis.
Floyd died after a white police officer held his knee on Floyd's neck until he became unconscious, while Floyd was in handcuffs.
Video of the killing sparked riots and outrage across the country.
Now many celebrities like LeBron James, Cardi B, Demi Lovato, Justin Bieber, and Kim Kardashian are using their platforms to raise awareness and call for justice.
"Enough is enough! What will it take ? A civil war ? A new president? Violent riots ? It’s tired ! I’m tired ! The country is tired !" Cardi B wrote on Instagram.
Others like Mandy Moore, Katie Holmes, Penelope Cruz, Viola Davis, Ava Duvernay, and Halsey shared images, with captions calling for change and action.
Four officers were fired Tuesday for their roles in the incident.
President Trump tweeted, "....I have asked for this investigation to be expedited and greatly appreciate all of the work done by local law enforcement. My heart goes out to George’s family and friends. Justice will be served!"
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey says criminal charges should be filed against officer Derek Chauvin. Video recorded by a bystander shows Chauvin with his knee on Floyd’s neck for several minutes as Floyd gasps for breath on the ground with his face against the pavement. The mayor says he saw nothing to justify that kind of force.
What other people are reading right now:
- Here's how Crew Dragon compares to the 8 other spaceships that have carried humans
- Historic SpaceX Crew Dragon launch scrubbed due to weather
- Disney World proposes reopening July 11 with mandatory masks for all
- SeaWorld, Busch Gardens propose reopening parks June 10
- Man accused of plotting mass shooting in Tampa Bay area, charged with trying to help ISIS
- Will a judge be able to force Florida to speed up unemployment fixes, payments of benefits?
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter