LEXINGTON, KY -- A teen gets an idea from Facebook, and now he's warning others not to make the same mistake -- while covered in burns and bandages.
"Unbearable, yeah, basically, I just recommend y'all not doing it," the teen said.
The 15-year-old says he didn't know what to expect when he poured rubbing alcohol on his chest and lit it.
"After it got put out, it was already blistering, so, yeah, it's just hard," he said.
He says he got the idea from Facebook, after seeing videos of something called the Fire Challenge. But those videos never showed the after effects.
"Just watching it and never seeing what ended, being childish," the teen said.
One of the firefighters who took that teen to the hospital says burns like the ones he received today could affect him for the rest of his life.
"Second or third degree burn can stay with you for life," said Lexington Fire Department Captain Chris Harrod.
Lexington parents who have seen the Fire Challenge on Facebook say things like this are one of the reasons they keep a close eye on what their kids access.
"I monitor his Facebook account, so any social media that he's on, I'm on," said parent Debra Smalley. "He knows he cannot have it unless I can see it."
Back home from the hospital, the 15-year-old says he's learned his lesson and he hopes what happened to him will warn others.
"You can get caught on fire and die, your house can get caught on fire," he said.
"I would hope most kids would look at that and learn from that experience and not do what he did," Smalley said.
In a similar incident, a 14-year-old near Houston was hospitalized Wednesday when he tried the "Fire Challenge."
According to officials, fire-rescue crews were called to a Harris County, Texas, home at about 3:15 p.m., when they said the teen had dowsed himself with isopropyl alcohol and ignited it with a lighter while standing in a shower.
Dangerous fads making its way around social media: