SHARE 220 17 COMMENTMORE

ATLANTA -- The FBI says a Georgia Tech graduate student was burned by a Molotov cocktail at his apartment in the 200 block of 10th Street, not far from Piedmont Park.

Atlanta police spokeswoman Kim Jones said Saamer Akhshabi suffered third-degree burns over 90 percent of his body. Lighter fluid and a charred pillow and mattress were found inside the apartment, along with the Molotov cocktail and several plastic bottles filled with gasoline and kerosene.

The FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force, along with the Atlanta Police Department and Atlanta Fire-Rescue are working to investigate the circumstances behind the incident. Homeland Security was also notified of the explosion.

Akhshabi was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital. His biography on Georgia Tech's website says he's a PhD student in the school's College of Computing and attended the University of Tehran in his native Iran before coming to Georgia.

Georgia Tech released a statement Tuesday evening:

Georgia Tech is working with law enforcement to notify the victim's family. Until that notification is made, the Institute is not able to release the victim's information. We are able to confirm a Georgia Tech graduate student was involved in an incident involving a fire in a building off of 10th Street this evening. Our primary concern is to provide appropriate assistance to the victim and for his family as well as his classmates. We continue to cooperate with the investigation of (the) incident.

Residents in the area were allowed back into their homes late Tuesday evening.