JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Hurricane season is almost upon us. Do you have an emergency storm kit ready?
If you don't you might want to think about creating one.
We want you to be storm ready. We're not trying to scare you, alarm you or make you worry.
This is just to make sure you are ready if a storm, hurricane or tropical storm strikes the First Coast.
It's a good idea have an emergency kit ready.
FCN has several emergency storm kits packed and ready to go.
It's got a lot of the important things you need:
- Digital, portable TV. So you can stay updated with First Coast News in the event your power's knocked out.
- Emergency food. FEMA recommends a 3-day supply of non perishable food.
- Emergency drinking water. You should have one gallon per person, per day for three days. You're going to need it for drinking and keeping clean.
- Take your medications, any emergency contacts, your families evacuation plan.
- You should also bring a lighter, matches.
- Pet food if you need it.
- Also, don't forget clothing cash or travelers checks.
- Also, bring a first aid kit.
You can buy everything you need at many stores in the region.
Again...we don't want you to worry or be afraid. Part of our job here at FCN is to help keep you safe.
Learn more about what specifically should be in an emergency storm kit, click here to go to the FEMA website.
Click here for FEMA's emergency supply list
Click here for NOAA's National Hurricane Center preparedness guide.