JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Two people escaped injury Tuesday when the house they recently moved into caught fire while they both were asleep.
The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department was called to the 11000 block of Lippizan Dr. in the city's Mandarin neighborhood around 6:45 a.m.
Lt. Mike Peery told First Coast News a woman woke up to her bedroom wall on fire and heavy smoke throughout the house.
"It's a good thing she did wake up in time," Peery said.
He added that a man who lives with the woman attempted to put the flames out with a garden hose, but was unsuccessful because it wasn't long enough.
The couple then reportedly grabbed their little dog, ran outside and dialed 911 for help. Heavy smoke and flames were visible when the first crews arrived.
Peery said firefighters made an aggressive attack against the flames and had everything under control in a couple of minutes.
The couple did not wish to speak on camera, but the woman appeared extremely upset while hugging family and friends in the front yard.
"These two occupants just moved into the house a week ago. They were just starting to get things organized. Then this fire happens," Peery said.
Most of the damage is isolated to the room where the couple was sleeping, but Peery added smoke and water damaged other rooms as well.
He said it is never a good idea for any homeowner to try and take matters into their own hands.
"We strongly encourage homeowners not to fight the fires themselves. Immediately evacuate the structure. Get to a safe place and call 911," Peery said.
The American Red Cross has been called to provide assistance for the man and woman. The State Fire Marshal is also working the case to help figure out how the fire started.