3 5 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

St. Augustine Fire Department responded to a fire early Monday morning in the block of Evergreen Avenue. First Coast News

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- An elderly woman is in critical condition Monday after being burned in a fire on Evergreen Avenue.

The woman, who remains unidentified, was transported to the burn unit at UF Health Gainesville.

Initial reports indicate the woman had been smoking, caught a box on fire and tried to get the box outside. That's when her clothes caught fire, engulfing her in flames.

The St. Augustine Fire Department is investigating.

A neighbor, who came to help, was also injured and was transported to Flagler Hospital.

Read or Share this story: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/2014/05/12/cigarette-fire-elderly-woman-critical/8992667/