JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department and the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office responded to reports of an explosion at the Advanced Disposal Tuesday.
Police and fire crews responded to Advance Disposal at 9798 Normandy Boulevard in the Normandy Estates area of the Westside around 8 a.m. Tuesday following reports of an explosion and small fire.
At least two men in their 20s were injured in the blast. A 29-year-old victim was air lifted to UF Health Jacksonville initially, according to Tom Francis with JFRD. He was later air lifted with critical injuries to UF Health Shands Hospital burn unit, according to JSO Sgt. Jay Farhat. The 29-year-old was injured when his clothes caught on fire after being shocked.
According to a release from Advanced Disposal, staff extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher and called 911.
A 26-year-old victim suffered minor injuries, including having his hair singed, and was not transported to the hospital.
The victims are both employees of Pilot Electrical Construction Co and were working on a wall panel they thought was turned off.
JFRD is continuing its investigation of the incident.
First Coast News has been looking into Pilot Electrical Construction Company's history. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration reports, company work sites have been inspected three times since the early '80s, twice as routine and once in response to a complaint.
OSHA records show the violations were "serious," a level below the more serious "willful" or "repeated" violations.
Violation codes ranged from failure to distribute Material Safety Data Sheets to employees to the presence of work site debris.
OSHA has opened an investigation into today's incident. They have six months from today to issue a citation should they chose to do so.
Two people recovering from a Westside industrial accident. First Coast News