LAKE CITY, Fla. -- Lake City Police Department officers found two men deceased in a home they were renovating after family members became concerned about the two's well being.

Officers went to the home in the 800 block of N.E. Denver Street a little before 10 p.m. Sunday, according to a news release from Lake City Police Department Public Information Officer Craig Strickland.

Strickland said officers went to the home after Jacksonville resident Juanita Smith called police concerned for her husband. Smith told police she had not heard from her husband since noon the same day.

Strickland said earlier in the day Smith asked her sister-in-law to go by the home to check on her husband and a friend who were there doing renovations. No one answered the door when she knocked, but their vehicle was in the driveway, Strickland said.

When police arrived they knocked on both the front door and window but did not receive a response.

Strickland said as officers looked through the windows, Strickland said they saw one of the men unresponsive sitting in a chair in the living room.

Police called the Lake City Fire Department and EMS. Once they arrived they entered the residence and determined there were high levels of carbon monoxide.

Strickland said the carbon monoxide was due to a possible gas leak.

Paramedics pronounced the man found sitting in the chair, identified as 74-year-old Willie Saulsby Smith, deceased.

Emergency workers then evacuated the home until the scene could be made safe, Strickland said.

After crews pulled the gas meter from the residence and it was determined to be safe, the Lake City Fire Department went back inside the residence.

Strickland said once emergency crews went back into the home they found 48-year-old John Thomas Rawls deceased in a bathroom.

Police do not suspect any suspicious activity, Strickland said, and the deceased are being examined at the Medical Examiner's Office to determine an exact cause of death.