Hot pockets may contain 'diseased and unsound animals'
LANDOVER, Md. -- Giant Food stores have removed Hot Pockets Philly Steak and Cheese products from its shelves following a recall notice by the Rancho Feeding Corporation.
Giant has received to reports of illnesses to date, according to release from the company.
"The USDA announced a recall of Rancho Feeding Corporation meat products because they were produced without all required inspections," according to the release.
The company recalled 8.7 million pound of beer products last week.
"That's just over a year's worth of meat products processed by Rancho Feeding Corp., which has been under scrutiny by the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service," according to The Associated Press .
"The agency said that without full inspection, the recalled products are unfit for human consumption.
"The products were processed from Jan. 1, 2013, through Jan. 7, 2014, and shipped to distribution centers and retail stores in California, Florida, Illinois and Texas. They include beef carcasses, oxtail, liver, cheeks, tripe, tongue and veal bones."
Customers who purchased the affected products (see below) should discard unused portions and bring purchase receipts to Giant Food for a full refund, the release states.
The following products are included in this recall (per the release):
Hot Pocket Philly Steak & Cheese, 9 oz., UPC4369507107, Batch numbers:
- 3021544512 with a best before date of March 2014
- 3029544512 with a best before date of March 2014
- 3197544512 with a best before date of September 2014
- 3240544512 with a best before date of October 2014
Hot Pocket Croissant Crust Philly Steak & Cheese, 9 oz., UPC 4369505634, Batch numbers:
- 3211544512 with a best before date of September 2014
- 3248544512 with a best before date of November 2014
- 3283544512 with a best before date of December 2014
Hot Pocket Philly Steak & Cheese, 54 oz., UPC 4369507520, Batch numbers:
- 3022544513 with a best before date of March 2014
- 3191544512 with a best before date of September 2014
- 3224544512 with a best before date of October 2014
- 3254544512 with a best before date of November 2014
- 3268544512 with a best before date of November 2014
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call Nestle USA Consumer Services at (800) 392-4057.