FCN reporter Michelle Quesada takes you behind the scenes during Bradford County's drug bust Operation Spring Cleaning.
BRADFORD COUNTY, Fla. -- Four crews from the Bradford County Sheriff's Office Narcotics Division waited outside a Starke motel for hours for the take down.
Operation Spring Cleaning used two confidential sources in a Starke motel room who made calls to locals suspected of illegally purchasing prescription pills like oxycodone and hydrocodone. Once the alleged transactions were made, officers busted into the room booked by the Sheriff's Office, to arrest the suspects.
"The bad guys aren't going to know when and where we are coming at them," said Captain Brad Smith, Bradford County Sheriff's Office.
The operation was executed in two parts. During the month long investigation, officers and informants went undercover to buy hundreds of pills and several ounces of crack cocaine. Part two was the buy bust.
In 10 hours, 10 were arrested. The sheriff's office said one of the suspects has been arrested five times in the last 6 months. A judge set the suspect's bail to $1 million. Two of the arrests included possession of crack cocaine. Twenty-one warrants were signed, four cars seized, over $1,200 confiscated and hundreds of pills worth thousands of dollars were taken off the streets, according to the sheriff's office.
"That's our ultimate goal; to try to get these drugs off our streets and away from anybody and everybody," said Captain Smith.
The narcotics division said prescription pills have become a huge problem in Starke.
At the conclusion of the operation, Sheriff Gordon Smith stated, "this was a highly successful operation to proactively attack illegal drug activity in Bradford County. I want the honest citizens of this county to know we are going to continue our efforts to make Bradford County a safe place to live and prosper."
- Ahmad Hudson, 36 - Charged with opium or derivative.
- Alonzo Williams, 45 - Charged with cocaine possession and cocaine selling.
- Angel Garrison, 40 - Charged with opium or derivative.
- Billie Jean Saxon, 29 - Charged with opium or derivative.
- Edward Grover, 46 - Charged with larceny, opium or derivative and evidence destroying.
- James Davy, 40 - Charged with cocaine possession, cocaine selling and opium or derivative.
- Jamie Prevatt, 23 - Charged with child neglect and opium or derivative.
- Johnnie Bellflower, n/a - Charges pending with the Bradford County Sheriff's Office.
- Robert Newman, 29 - Charged with opium or derivative.
- Vernon Goodwin, 38 - Charges pending with the Bradford County Sheriff's Office.
Copy and paste this link to view photo gallery on your mobile device: http://fcnews.tv/QjkYcZ