The Miami Dolphins broke their organizational silence Sunday morning on Jonathan Martin's departure from the team, releasing a statement in which they said they've been in contact with Martin and his family and saying reports that bullying led to his exit are "based on speculation."
But a few hours later, the team altered its stance.
"We received notification today from Jonathan's representation about allegations of player misconduct," read a statement released by the Dolphins.
"We are taking these allegations very seriously and plan to review the matter further. We have also reached out to the NFL and asked them to conduct an objective and thorough review. As an organization, we are committed to a culture of team-first accountability and respect for one another."
Martin, the second-year offensive tackle from Stanford, left the team last week and has not returned. Fox Sports first reported teammates pulled a prank in the cafeteria on Martin, who smashed his tray and took off.
"Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being. As an organization, we take any accusations of player misconduct seriously," a statement released Sunday morning stated. At the time, the Dolphins claimed to be unaware of any hazing of Martin or pranks directed at him.
"The notion of bullying is based on speculation and has not been presented to us as a concern from Jonathan or anyone else internally. The reports that the NFLPA is investigating our players are inaccurate."
ESPN reported Friday the NFL Players Association was investigating the role of Dolphins guard Richie Incognito in alleged harassment of Martin dating to his rookie season in 2012.
In a statement released Saturday by the union, the NFLPA stressed its concern about players being provided a "safe and professional workplace."
"We have an obligation to protect and support all of our members," the statement said. "We take official investigations very seriously and in this case, we have not launched an investigation into Richie Incognito or other players in Miami."
Incognito took to Twitter to defend himself Sunday morning.
"@espn shame on you for attaching my name to false speculation," Incognito wrote in one of the tweets. "I won't be holding my breathe (sic) for an apology."
The Dolphins originally attributed Martin's absence to a non-football illness. He was listed as doubtful for Thursday's game against Cincinnati - an overtime win for Miami, snapping a four-game losing streak - before being downgraded to out.
When asked Friday if he has seen evidence of bullying or harassment, coach Joe Philbin said: "This is something we take very seriously, and it will not be tolerated."
The Dolphins play on the road against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Nov. 11.
Contributing: Wire reports