Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - The Ohio State Buckeyes have suspended senior running back Carlos Hyde, contrary to earlier reports.
The school announced Monday afternoon that Hyde has been suspended from all football team activities pending the outcome of the student code of conduct and criminal investigations.
The Columbus Dispatch reported earlier Monday that Hyde had been dismissed from the team. The paper said he was named as a person of interest in a weekend assault against a female at a bar in Columbus.
Hyde, the Buckeyes' projected No. 1 running back, rushed for 970 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2012.
Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer also took disciplinary action Monday against two freshmen who were involved in legal issues in the past week: tight end Marcus Baugh and defensive lineman Tim Gardner. He also announced that senior cornerback Bradley Roby will not attend Big Ten media days this week.
"I have a clear set of core values in place that members of this football program are constantly reminded of and are expected to honor," Meyer said. "There are also expectations with regard to behavior. I expect our players to conduct themselves responsibly and appropriately and they will be held accountable for their actions."
Baugh has been removed from all team activities and will sit out the first game of the season for his arrest last weekend for underage possession of alcohol and possessing a fake identification.
Gardner is being sent home and will not be a part of the 2013 team after he was charged Saturday night by Columbus police with obstruction of official business.
Roby was arrested early Sunday morning in Indiana and is facing preliminary charges of battery resulting in bodily injury. He could face additional discipline as more information from his arrest becomes available.
"Swift, effective and fair discipline is the standard for our entire athletics program," director of athletics Gene Smith said. "I applaud Coach Meyer for his immediate actions."