SANFORD, Fla. - The death of Trayvon Martin and arrest of George Zimmerman has a history of igniting protests across the country.
Even the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People rallied last year with thousands of people to shed light on the fact Zimmerman was not arrested or charged initially. But now that his trial is underway in Seminole County, it seems a different story is emerging.
There are no mass protests or rallies. In fact, activity outside the courthouse has been rather calm since the trial started Monday. Fewer than 100 people have come out to a public protest zone set up with barricades.
It is a stark contrast to the crowds seen in Sanford immediately following Martin's death.
But for those who have come to the courthouse this week, they believe it is less about the numbers and more about the causes they say they are fighting for.
"Right now it's a divided situation. Half, some think it was wrong what happened. Some think that it was wrong that Trayvon Martin was in the wrong spot at the wrong time," said James Lott.
Julia McKnight said, "I'm here to see justice done. I'm here to see the guns taken off the street. I am here to take guns period off the street."
Authorities said last week they had a plan in place for security in case of a larger event or gathering and officers still maintain a heavy presence at the courthouse.
Demonstrators, for the most part, have been supporters of the Martin family who believe Zimmerman was not acting in self-defense.
Both sides believe more activists will show up once jury selection ends and the verdict inches closer.
Sanford established three public protest zones so people could come peacefully demonstrate during the trial.
No major incidents have been reported.