MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- Black mold, rats and exposed eaves are just a few of the problemsplaguinga Middleburg family's mobile home.
TheMcGill familywas their breaking point when they decided to called the On Your Side team for help.
The home, tucked away on a quiet street in rural Middleburg, was supposed to be a dream starter home for the family. The McGills say that is no longer true because there are a myriad of problems both inside and out they want fixed.
"When we bought the house, we wasn't really looking at all the damages and stuff," Kenneth McGill, said as he showed the exterior siding of his home to First Coast News. "As you can see, there's damages here from the rats and stuff."
His family moved in two weeks ago. The fence is coming apart.
"The window's ain't completely sealed up, so water can get through them and stuff," He said as he pointed to one of the windows of his home.
He says some joints on the exterior of their mobile home are exposed.
"If you look right here," McGill said, pointing to a portion of siding he lifted. "This is kind of where the black mold starts at."
McGill claims that black mold is growing throughout the house, and along kitchen backboards and under cabinets. The family is staying with relatives because of the issues with the home. He is worried about the health of nine-month-old daughter.
The McGills say they paid $5,000 down on their $89,000, 1.14 acre home they found via Craigslist.
The McGills said they have heard from the owner, Stagecoach Enterprises, of San Angelo, Texas, about the issues.
"He said he'll (Stagecoach Enterprises) send out the renovator," Kenneth's wife, Amanda, said. "But we have to pay for it."
The McGills did not have a home inspector and they say they did not see anything unusual.
"The biggest thing is, the next step, is to get a house inspector out here," McGill said, as he sat in their living room. "For him to inspect the house and him to evaluate what's going on with the house."
Barry Ansbacher is a real estate law expert and managing partner of Ansbacher Law, who is not affiliated with the McGills or with the homeowner.
"So many people don't think about it or, surprisingly, they'll let the seller recommend or the real estate agent recommend who the inspector should be and they really want somebody independent," he said.
Ansbacher took a look at the documents the McGills provided to FCN.
"Unless you are regularly buying and selling homes, and are familiar with the real estate contracts," he said. "If a lawyer had looked this over, he never would've recommended that the buyer sign this document."
Ansbacher said the McGills may have legal recourse if the seller knew about the problems and didn't disclose them.
That would mean the seller would have to pony up for the repairs or give the buyers their money back. First Coast News reached out to Stagecoach Enterprise, but the company has not replied to FCN's request for an interview.