CONYERS, Ga. -- Authorities say four children ranging in age from aninfant to seven years old, one girl and three boys, died in a house firelate Tuesday night. The fire was in a two story duplex located onPinedale Circle in Conyers.
Another child, a five-year-old boy, was injured when the children'smother threw him from a second floor window and then jumped herself. Shereceived severe burns and is being treated at Grady Hospital's burnunit in Atlanta. The boy was transported to Egleston Children's Hospitalwith a reported minor shoulder injury.
A grandmother escaped injury but is said to be extremely distraught at the scene.
Conyers Police Chief Gene Wilson said four of his officers were onthe scene within seconds of the fire being reported at 11:05 p.m. andtried unsuccessfully to put out the blaze with hand-held extinguishers.
Wilson said the bulk of the fire was on the second floor of the homeand while it failed to burn through the roof, windows were blown out bythe fierce blaze. The upstairs portion of the house was completelydestroyed.
Wilson said there had been a fire in the first floorfireplace, but the cause will have to be determined.