The world found out Naomi Watts was pregnant when a photographerspotted her walking around Manhattan sporting what looked like a bump -or the aftermath of a very hefty lunch.
Others go the more, uh,celebratory route when it comes to sharing their budding news with theworld. Kanye West, no standard-bearer of subtlety, told a crowd inAtlantic City on Sunday night that his girlfriend Kim Kardashian waspregnant. And she announced it on her official website the followingday, capping off 2013 with news that is making glossies the world overpant with glee.
But West learned a few things about bump boasts from other tabloid trailblazers:
- No one can top Beyonce's pregnant performance. Clad in an orange Lanvin dress, the Grammy winner rubbed her belly on the red carpet at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. Later, the singer performed Love on Top, and then told the crowd, "I want you to feel the love that's growing inside me," unbuttoning her jacket and rubbing her belly. Baby Blue Ivy was born Jan. 7, 2012.
- Jennifer Lopez dealt with rampant speculation that she was knocked up. Was she? Wasn't she? And then she and husband Marc Anthony shared the news with their audience during a November 2007 concert in Miami. The songtress said: "Marc and I are expecting a baby!" The couple later welcomed twins Max and Emme in February 2008.
- Gwen Stefani told the world about her impending foray into motherhood in December 2005 while singing her song Crash in Fort Lauderdale. "I want you to say it loud enough so the baby hears it," she said. This was just days after official denials of her pregnancy. Son Kingston James McGregor Rossdale was born May 26, 2006, and Zuma Nesta Rock Rossdale arrived on Aug. 20, 2008.
- Oh, Florida, is it something in the water? American Idol's Fantasia Barrino told a Jacksonville audience in August 2011 that "you are the first persons that I share this news with ... This child that I'm carrying, God has given me this child. And I don't have to hide it from none of y'all." On Dec. 13, 2011, she gave birth to a son, Dallas Xavier Barrino.
- Oh, what a tease she is. Unpredictable performer Lauryn Hill was on stage in Los Angeles in April 2011. "I keep having these children. I don't know if I'm the most fertile woman in America. I've got five big children, you believe that? If you ask anybody I went to high school with, they'd be like puzzled. Wait till you hear the big secret though," she told the audience. She formally announced her pregnancy the following month. Her sixth child, a son, arrived in July; she confirmed that Rohan Marley, the father of the first five, wasn't the dad this time