Prepare steak and begin to marinate (5 minutes)
Preheat grill; prepare salad and chill (10 minutes)
Complete steak recipe and serve (25 minutes)
1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, finely grated
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup sesame oil
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Large zip-top bag
2 lb beef flank steak
Peel ginger using edge of a spoon to scrape off the skin; grate ginger very finely, then measure.
1. Place all ingredients (except steak) in zip-top bag; seal bag and squeeze to blend mixture. Add steak to bag; seal bag tightly and let stand 10 minutes (or overnight) to marinate.
2. Preheat grill pan (or grill) on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place steak in grill pan (or on grill), reserving marinade; grill 5-6 minutes on each side, turning often, or until steak is 145°F (for medium rare).
3. Place reserved marinade in small saucepan and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 2-3 minutes until sauce begins to thicken and reduces by about one-half. Remove steaks from grill; let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Slice meat diagonally against the grain; drizzle with sauce. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
Cucumber Carrot Salad
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 large cucumber, peeled, thinly sliced
1 cup matchstick carrots
1/2 cup presliced green onions
1. Whisk chili sauce and vinegar in medium bowl until blended.
2. Peel cucumber; cut in half lengthwise and slice. Add cucumber and remaining ingredients to sauce mixture; toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve.