Sketch of proposed improvements at EverBank Field.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Big changes are coming to EverBank Field.
The Jacksonville Jaguars announced Wednesday that it has agreed to terms with the City of Jacksonville on $63 million in improvements for the stadium.
The improvements are set to include a north end zone fan engagement area and two new end zone score boards that will be "the largest of their kind in the world," according to a release from the Jaguars.
"Jaguars fans are going to fall in love with the new EverBank Field," said team president Mark Lamping. "We do not take for granted the emotional and financial investment of Jaguars fans. In return, we're doing everything we can to produce a winner on the field, but in the areas we control - like the in-stadium experience at EverBank Field - we owe our fans nothing less than the very best, and that's what they can expect soon at EverBank Field."
The forthcoming improvements will go along with $10 million in upgrades already funded by Jaguars owner Shad Khan, including a new training room and weight room as well as locker room upgrades.
"When you see these plans come to life next fall, it'll be impossible to stay home to watch the Jaguars," Khan said. "Trust me, your house party, your big screen TV, they're great. But this is gonna be better. And you'll want to be here and we want you to be here."
The capital project funding, $36.4 million, will come from the city of Jacksonville. These funds will go toward the infrastructure for the scoreboards and the north endzone area.
The Jaguars will fund 75 percent of the scoreboards' estimated cost of $26.5 million, while the remaining 25 percent will come from the city's capital project funding.
Any cost overruns will be taken care of by the Jaguars. The team will also serve as the construction manager. Any savings on the project will go toward future stadium improvements.
"The spirit of partnership was certainly evident as we worked with the Jaguars over the past several months to arrive at today's announcement," said City Council President Bill Bishop. "EverBank Field and Jacksonville will now be able to compete for the very best events in sports and entertainment while ensuring a great home for the Jaguars and experience for their fans. It's a win-win for everyone."
Highlights of the improvements include:
- New video scoreboards in each end zone, each measuring 55 by 301 feet, making them the largest of their kind in the world.
- Major enhancements to EverBank Field's video capabilities.
- New LED fascia board displays:
o Two sideline boards, each measuring 3.6 by 579 feet
o Two displays in the Bud Light Party Deck and above the Terrace Suites in the South End Zone, each measuring 3.6 by 106 feet
o Two displays over tunnels, each measuring 6 by 22 feet
o One display in the North End Zone measuring 10 by 400 feet
- A new scoreboard control room equipped with state-of-the-art software.
- A new platform area in the north end zone with pools, unique food and beverage offerings, interactive activities and much more than will entertain and serve guests in a fashion that celebrates the vibe and spirit of life in Jacksonville. Construction of the platform will result in the removal of approximately 7,000 seats, though temporary seating can be installed for major events that will require a larger stadium capacity.
First Coast News