LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

Boston Marathon runner thrown by blast walked away

5:18 AM, Apr 16, 2013   |    comments
Police officers react to a second explosion at the finish line of the Boston Marathon Monday. The runner has been identified as Bill Iffrig, 78, of Lake Stevens, Wash. He was not seriously injured.(Photo: John Tlumacki AP)
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Full Coverage: Boston Marathon Bombing

First Coast Boston Marathon runners: The safe list

First Coast Boston Marathon participant will keep running

Local Boston Marathon runners arrive in Jacksonville

Local runners return home safely from Boston

Boston Marathon relief effort: How you can help

Boston Marathon explosives were inside pressure cookers

Obama: Boston attack 'an act of terrorism'

Report: 8-year-old boy killed in Boston Marathon blasts identified

Search warrant executed in Boston Marathon bombings that killed 3, wounded at least 144

Former New England Patriot carries woman to safety after Boston Marathon explosion

Street debris pulled from victims of Boston marathon blasts

Obama: White House ready to assist Boston after blasts

'You can't go anywhere': Newtown runner's wife speaks

Explosions rock finish of Boston Marathon; 2 killed and scores injured

After Boston blasts, Obama vows to get answers

Related Links
  • Ex-NFL player carries woman to safety
  • Debris pulled from victims of Boston marathon blasts
  • Debris pulled from victims of Boston marathon blasts
  • First Coast Boston Marathon runners: The safe list
  • (AP) - A 78-year-old Washington state man running his third Boston Marathon was near the finish line when he was knocked down by one of two bomb blasts and caught in a news photograph that quickly went viral.

    Bill Iffrig, of Lake Stevens, told The Herald of Everett that he heard a noise Monday and found himself on the ground.

    "It was only 5 feet away from me," he said. "It was really loud."

    He said he ended up with a scrape on his knee, and that a race official helped him to his feet.

    Iffrig said most of the other runners near the area weren't as close to the explosion as he was. He walked across the finish line and another half-mile to his hotel. Iffrig said of his proximity to the explosion that it was a "close one" and the experience "scared" him.

    The runner's son, Mark Iffrig, of Seattle, told The Associated Press he was tracking his father's race progress online and didn't realize what had happened until he went on Facebook to post about his dad finishing the race. He quickly turned on the TV and called his dad.

    "It's horrible. He said it was quite a concussive blast. He was a little dazed. Someone helped him up," said Mark Iffrig , adding he recognized his father from a widely distributed Boston Globe photo showing him on the ground, surrounded by police officers and race officials. "He was only about 10 feet from the finish line."

    Iffrig said his father is an avid runner who has raced in a number of marathons.

    "He's a hell of a runner," he said. "He's run a lot and he's fast."

    Associated Press

    Most Watched Videos