YOKOSUKA, Japan -- The United States Navy reports that several sailors that were missing after the collision between USS Fitzgerald and a merchant ship on Saturday have been found dead.
The Fitzgerald was operating southwest of Yokosuka, Japan, when it collided with a Philippine container ship.
The bodies of seven missing sailors were located in several flooded compartments, according to a press release.
The Navy says the sailors were transferred to a U.S. Naval Hospital for identification.
On Sunday, the Navy released a list of names of the deceased:
- Gunner’s Mate Seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby, 19, from Palmyra, Virginia
- Yeoman 3rd Class Shingo Alexander Douglass, 25, from San Diego, California
- Sonar Technician 3rd Class Ngoc T Truong Huynh, 25, from Oakville, Connecticut
- Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class Noe Hernandez, 26, from Weslaco, Texas
- Fire Controlman 2nd Class Carlosvictor Ganzon Sibayan, 23, from Chula Vista, California
- Personnel Specialist 1st Class Xavier Alec Martin, 24, from Halethorpe, Maryland
- Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr., 37, from Elyria, Ohio
© 2017 WTLV-TV