ASHTABULA, Ohio -- A drug lab in the room of a nursing home resident caused a fire that killed one person and injured six others, a fire chief in northeast Ohio said.
The man died Monday, following the Sunday night fire at Park Haven Nursing Home, Ashtabula fire Chief Ron Pristera said. The lab was making methamphetamine, Pristera said.
STORY: Meth: Up Close and Behind the Scenes | SLIDESHOW
The Plain Dealer reported that 31-year-old Shaun Warrens died in the fire. The man was among three residents and two non-residents hospitalized, the AP reported.
Two other people were treated at the scene, Pristera said.
A lawyer for the nursing home declined to comment. Auditor's records show the home was built in 1950 and had 31 rooms. Pristera says 39 names were on its roster.
STORY: Two Deputies Shot, One Killed in Meth Lab Bust
Methamphetamine is a highly addictive illegal stimulant often cooked in homes with flammable components. State officials said more than 300 meth labs were broken up last year.