Report: Mom pulled daughter from plane wreck

VENICE, Fla. -- The National Transportation Safety Board has released its preliminary findings on the deadly plane crash that claimed the life of a father and daughter who were at a beach in Venice.

Related: Little girl in beach plane crash dies

Ommy Irizarry and his daughter Oceana were walking on the beach when a plane on its way from a small airport in Englewood fell out of the sky, crashing into them.

We have new information after obtaining the NTSB's preliminary crash report, and it sheds new light on that tragic day.

READ: The NTSB's preliminary report (PDF)

It's an eye opening account of what happened on a July afternoon on Caspersen Beach in Venice.

NTSB investigators spoke to six witnesses, many who saw the plane pass directly over their heads as it landed with a thump, skidding through water and sand.

Here's what we've learned:

- Around 3:30 p.m. the plane took off from Buchan Airport in Englewood. 57-year-old pilot Karl Kokomoor told NTSB investigators everything is normal.

- Around 3:40 as the plane approached Venice, the engine begins to run roughly. According to the report, Kokomoor checked the ignition switch, changes fuel tanks and then the engine lost power.

"It's my friend's husband, his daughter was hit and he was hit," said a 911 caller.

At 3:45 p.m., the plane made a hard landing on crash landed on Caspersen Beach, Venice, Florida.

Related: Plane crash victim was Georgia soldier

"Certainly they wouldn't hear a silent aircraft in back of them, and that's the tragic part of this," said former NTSB chairman Mark Rosenker. "They had no chance."

The plane slammed into 36-year-old Sgt First class Ommy Irizarry and his 9-year-old daughter Oceana.

"I'm with him right now," said another frantic 911 caller. "I'm going to tell you what to do next. Don't move him unless he's in danger," the operator replied.

According to the report, Ommy and Oceana were standing close together in about 4 feet of water near the shore as the plane crashed on top of them.

"It just hit him when he wasn't ready," said one witness.

The report said Ommy's wife, Rebecca ran to pull her stepdaughter out of the water after she was hit. Her stepson had to duck just as the plane moved over his head.

At this point the NTSB investigation is still in its fact finding stage.

Investigators haven't been able to zero in on the exact cause of the crash, they say it can take up to 12 months for an investigation like this to be completed.

The pilot had radioed in about engine problems right before the crash, but so far, investigators say they haven't been able to find any mechanical problems within the engine.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment