Officer-involved shooting on Jacksonville's Northside, suspect remains at large

Heather Crawford and Anthony Austin anchor. 9/8/2016

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is still searching for a suspect who fired multiple shots into a house and at an officer late Wednesday evening on the north side of Jacksonville.

According to authorities, an emergency call came in at approximately 10:40 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 7 for reported gunfire near the 1700 block of Tyler Street.

After responding to the call, JSO was unable to locate any suspects or victims from the reported shooting.

Around 11:40 p.m. another emergency phone call was received in regards to multiple shots being fired into houses near the intersection of Whitner and McConihe Street.

When JSO arrived, the suspect, who was described as a black male on a bicycle, was located. The suspect fled on foot after officers attempted to apprehend him. A foot chase immediately commenced.

During the pursuit, the suspect reached into a backpack he was wearing and produced a handgun that he proceeded to fire at the officer. The officer fired back a total of five shots while in pursuit. 

The suspect escaped the officer on foot and it is unknown at this time if he was injured during the exchange of gunfire. 

An investigation of the crime scene at the house on McConihe Street revealed that nobody had been injured. Authorities believe the house was empty during the incident.

One firearm authorities believe was involved in the shooting has been recovered. It is unknown if the suspect remains armed. 

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Public Information officer has confirmed that there were no police injured and there are no fatalities at this time.



Further investigations led authorities to a house on West 7th Street, just a block from the house on McConihe Street. The Jacksonville Special Weapons and Tactics unit was called out after a search warrant was obtained.

Two people surrendered the house to authorities, while a third was found hiding inside. It is unknown at this time if these individuals are in fact related to the officer-involved shooting on Wednesday night or if they will face any charges.

The SWAT team has cleared the area and officers are currently cleaning up crime tape as of 7:30 a.m. on Thursday, Sept. 8.

As of now, the suspect remains at large until further interviews can be done with the persons of interest.

First Coast News will update this story as new information is released.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment