It seems that Jacksonville isn't the only city dealing with a "Purge" threat.
Police in Louisville investigated the perceived social media threat based on the movie "The Purge" there also and were able to trace it to its source.
Louisville Metro Police said they have spoken with the student who told duPont Manual High School's campus newspaper that he posted the original "Louisville Purge" threat on social media — but only as "a fun thing."
But Dwight Mitchell, a police spokesman, said the department is still investigating threats that were made in response to the widespread media attention that followed.
"We don't know if it's a hoax or not," Mitchell said.
On Friday evening, the school's newspaper, Manual Redeye, posted an interview with the Iroquois High School student, whom it did not identify.
"It was originally supposed to be just a fun thing, I never thought it'd get as serious as it did," the student told the paper. "I was really shocked the first time I saw local media covering it."
Liz Palmer, Redeye's adviser, said her students had no trouble finding the original source of the threatening tweet.
"It was as simple as could be," Palmer said. "Here's this one oddball tweet."
Palmer said her students spoke to both the student and his father, who confirmed his son's story.
Earlier in the day, police urged residents to call 911 if they saw anything suspicious Friday night.
People should "let police handle it as quickly as they can," Mitchell said.
The "Louisville Purge" rumors are based on the 2013 film "The Purge" in which mobs hunt and kill people during a fictitious 12-hour period where crime is legal. A sequel, "The Purge: Anarchy" was released July 18 and is still showing.
The "Louisville Purge" was supposedly set for 8 p.m. Friday through 6:30 a.m. Saturday, and some Louisville residents have posted on social media that they will be armed.
Mitchell said that if citizens have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, they have a right to do it.
But "if people are doing law-abiding things, they will be able to go about their activities" as normal, he said.
The threats did cause the cancellation of at least one football scrimmage Friday night.
Kenton County administrators decided not to let the Simon Kenton team travel to St. Xavier because of the purge threats.
"Bottom line, we don't know the seriousness of the threat," Simon Kenton coach Jeff Marksberry said. "... If something does happen, the safety of our kids and staff and everybody else is of the utmost importance for us."
Ben Jackey, spokesman for Jefferson County Public Schools, said JCPS is "aware of the situation and will cooperate fully with law enforcement officials. We will act accordingly on any recommendations they may make."
Louisville isn't the only city that has had threats like this. Rumors of a purge in Detroit are spreading on social media. Fans of the boy band One Direction, which is scheduled to play there Saturday, are tweeting worries about the band getting injured.