Photo by the Associated Press
TOMS RIVER, N.J. -- Authorities say a massive boardwalk fire in New Jersey was accidental and they have linked it to electrical wiring and equipment they say was compromised by Superstorm Sandy nearly a year ago.
The announcement was made Tuesday, five days after the fire destroyed more than 50 boardwalk businesses in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights.
Investigators say the fire started under a building that housed a candy store and an ice cream stand.
They say the fire was the result of a failure of electrical equipment and wiring under the boardwalk and subfloor compromised by Sandy floodwaters.
The equipment had been inaccessible since Sandy struck in late October.