TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida A&M University students are being asked to combat hazing, but it's not clear how receptive students are to the message.
The university suspended classes on Thursday afternoon while it held a town hall meeting on hazing. While FAMU has more than 12,000 students, there were probably less than 2,000 in attendance.
During the meeting, organizers asked roughly 300 attendees if they would report hazing if they witnessed it. Only 68 percent said yes. The other 32 percent said no.
Members of the Marching 100 showed up at the meeting. Brandon Cunningham, the band president last year, told FAMU officials that band members were committed to ending hazing.
The famed band was suspended for the academic year in the wake of the hazing death of drum major Robert Champion.