Still more debris cleanup to be done in Jacksonville

Jason Rantala reports. 10/27/29016

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The storm may be gone, but there's still plenty of debris left to be cleaned up, even weeks after Hurricane Matthew.

Thursday morning, Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry toured a Southside neighborhood hit hard by the storm.

Three weeks after Hurricane Matthew, storm debris clean up continues. Curry says crews wont stop until all residents get their debris clean up.

Alongside several city officials, Curry briefly walked the streets near Glynlea Park and the Holiday Hill neighborhood to monitor the debris pickup process.

The mayor calls this the most aggressive debris clean up push in recent memory.

"We still have a significant amount to go, we're still on target to meeting our goal," says Sam Mousa, Chief Administrative Officer with the City of Jacksonville.

It all began at the crack of dawn the first Saturday after the storm with cut and toss crews.

Two weeks ago, city crews began debris pickup. In that time period Mousa says they've picked up more than 430,000 cubic yards of debris.

For perspective, that's enough to fill an Olympic pool more than 131 times. That's maybe half of the estimated total debris which resulted from the storm, according to officials.

The city want residents to know they can speed up their own clean up process by placing any small yard debris into plastic bags. That way that debris can be picked up on a weekly basis by a garbage collector.

"We've picked up more debris in just a few weeks than has been previously picked up in a period of six months. That doesn't happen by accident, that happens because your city, your officials planned on the front end, we were securing trucks," says Curry.

City officials say the vast majority of debris should be picked up with two weeks.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment