One killed in house fire started by candle

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A house fire believed to have been started by a candle claimed the life of a woman late Thursday night.

Jacksonville Fire Rescue responded to a fire at a home in the 1700 block of West 10th Street Thursday night. Another person in the home was taken to UF Health Jacksonville in critical condition.

JEA spokesperson Gerri Boyce said the home had been without power since Feb. 19. Power was cut off due to missed payments, Boyce said. The residents owed over $614.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office and the State Fire Marshall are both conducting further investigations.

You First

JEA spokeswoman Gerry Boyce says to call 904-665-6000. You could qualify for a payment extension as well as possibly qualify for payment arrangements, where the payments would be split between several bills.

A one-time hardship, including losing your job, a loved one or falling ill, is another option. Call United Way for a list of social services that provide vouchers that cover one month of payments.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories