Nassau County house fire has family thankful smoke detectors worked

YULEE, Fla. -- A house fire in Nassau early Wednesday morning has a family thankful their smoke detectors were working. The fire on Springwood Lane destroyed everything with the Clayton Peterson family only saving important paperwork in their fire safe.

"We could hear the smoke detectors going off and smelled the smoke, " said Peterson, who said he jumped into action with two fire extinguishers that were no match for the flames.

Firefighters from Station 70 according to the Nassau County Fire Department arrived in 10-12 minutes. The manned fire station is less than two miles away.

The fire department says the preliminary cause of the fire appears to electrical. The fire according to Peterson broke out in the attic above the garage.

"You don't think you will lose your head, " said Peterson. He said it is difficult because so many things are racing through your mind.

"We are safe and this is what is important," said Peterson as crews began boarding up the house as insurance adjusters sized up the damage.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories