Jacksonville, U.S. track star killed in crash

A world class athlete raised in Jacksonville was killed in a semi accident in Georgia early Monday morning.

FCN spoke with Torrin Lawrence's family and high school coaches about the man he was both on and off of the track.

Elaine Davis, Lawrence's mother, was so distraught over her son's death she had to be sedated.

The front end of 25-year-old Torrin Lawrence's car was barely recognizable after the crash.

Police say Lawrence called for help after his tire blew out on I-75 near Cordele, in Georgia at about 1:45 Monday morning. Seven minutes later calls came in to 911, saying there was a crash at that site.

"She was talking to him on the phone when this occurred," said Lawrence's cousin James Cushion. "She's probably replaying it in her mind. If there's something different she could have said."

Cushion says he watched Lawrence grow into a loving young man -- both talented and humble.

"He dedicated himself to his work and his record spoke for his dedication. He made the family really proud," Cushion said.

Former Andrew Jackson Track Coach, Steven Bellamy says Lawrence made his city proud. Bellamy coached the star athlete during his last two years at Andrew Jackson High.

"That was a gift from a kid that just came out one year and made an impact on the entire state of Florida and in two years the entire nation," Bellamy said.

Lawrence went on to make his mark around the world.

At the University of Georgia he won the 2010 NCAA indoor 400 meter title.

During that season, Lawrence held the 3-fastest times in the world.

Most Recently as a part of the U.S. 4x400 meter squad he took home a gold medal at the International Association of Athletics Federations World Relays in the Bahamas.

"He got the contract from Nike and he was on his way," Bellamy said. "He hadn't even touched his potential yet."

Lawrence did, however, tough many lives.

"He always said 'they're going to be calling my name one day,'" Cushion said.

The truck driver in that accident was not seriously injured but was taken to the hospital.

The Georgia State Patrol and the GDOT are investigating.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment