Fire caused by a cigarette sends woman to burn unit

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- An elderly woman is in critical condition Monday after being burned in a fire on Evergreen Avenue.

The woman, who remains unidentified, was transported to the burn unit at UF Health Gainesville.

Initial reports indicate the woman had been smoking, caught a box on fire and tried to get the box outside. That's when her clothes caught fire, engulfing her in flames.

The St. Augustine Fire Department is investigating.

A neighbor, who came to help, was also injured and was transported to Flagler Hospital.


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment