ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- The people of St. Augustine love history -- and the residents provided it today.
Three replica cannons from the 1700's were dedicated at Oglethorpe Battery Park this morning in the Davis Shores neighborhood, just east of the Bridge of Lions.
The dedication commemorates Georgia General James Oglethorpe's 38-day bombardment of the city's fort in 1740.
Hundreds turned out for the dedication.
Locals raised thousands of dollars for the 1,120 pound cannons and their placement at the park.
It's a project of the 450 Military Committee.
Photo courtesy: George Gardner and Gary Bruce
First Coast News