City of St. Augustine offices will be closed on Thursday and Friday, July 4 and 5 in observance of the Independence Day holiday, but there will be no change in commercial and residential trash and recycling collections. More>>
Click here for a printable map>>
- The Bridge of Lions is closed to all vehicular and boat traffic
- S. Castillo Dr. and Avenida Menendez north of the Bridge of Lions
- Cathedral Pl. from Avenida Menendez to St. George St.
- Orange St. from S. Castillo Dr. to Ponce de Leon Blvd. (U.S.1) EMERGENCY TRAFFIC ONLY
- King St. will be two-way traffic. From Cordova St. westbound there will be two lanes of traffic open to facilitate the exit from downtown after the fireworks. All traffic westbound on King St. after the fireworks will be directed south on Ponce de Leon Blvd or west on King St.
- King St. eastbound will turn north onto St. George St., then west onto Cathedral Pl. (detour routed to Cordova St. to King St.)
- Avenida Menendez northbound will turn west onto King St.
- San Marco Ave. southbound will turn west onto W. Castillo Dr. to Ponce De Leon Blvd. (U.S.1)
- W. Castillo Dr. eastbound will turn north onto San Marco Ave.
- Anastasia Blvd. westbound may not cross the Bridge of Lions
- There will be a left turn from Ponce de Leon Blvd (U.S. 1) onto SR 16. It is strongly suggested that traffic use Lewis Speedway north of the city in order to go west.
- Parking is available at the Historic Downtown Parking Facility at the Visitors Information Center. A parking fee of $10.00 for all day is in effect.
- All other public parking throughout the city is available at no charge on July 4.
- There will be no access to or from the parking lot of the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument from 6:00pm to 11:00pm on July 4.
- Parking will be limited in the vicinity of the Plaza to facilitate traffic detours in the evening.
- Parking will be prohibited along the west side of Ponce de Leon Blvd. (U.S.1) from Cincinnati Ave. south to the San Sebastian Bridge.
Concert in the Plaza:
The July 4 concert will begin at 6 p.m. in the Plaza de la Constitución's gazebo, between King Street and Cathedral Place. All Star Orchestra will perform a two-hour concert of patriotic and popular music. All concerts are free and attendees should bring lounge chairs for seating. Picnic dinners are popular, but alcoholic beverages are prohibited in the Plaza. More>>
4th of July Fireworks in St. Augustine:
St. Augustine 4th of July fireworks over the bay. The fireworks start at 9:30pm and include a great soundtrack of patriotic music. More >>
Lighthouse on July 4
Celebrate 4th of July at the top of the St. Augustine Lighthouse with a view of the skyline and fireworks. The event begins with the viewing of the sunset over the Atlantic. Tickets are $40 per person and space is limited. For reservations call 904-829-0745. More>>
Fireworks Over The Matanzas
Starting at 6:00pm one of the region's most popular big bands, The All Star Orchestra, returns to the Plaza de la Constitución (click here for a map) for a two-hour show filled with Big Band and Swing music along with all the traditional patriotic favorites. The All Star Orchestra's performance from the Plaza's Gazebo area runs from 6:00pm until 8:00pm. The concert is free and those attending should bring lounge chairs for seating.
Fireworks over the Matanzas, the highlight of St. Augustine's traditional July 4th activities has become synonymous with celebrating Independence Day in the Nation's Oldest City. The spectacular aerial display of pyrotechnics high over Matanzas Bay begins at 9:30pm.
The 20-minute display is tightly choreographed to a stirring soundtrack of great popular music delivered over an extensive sound system transforming the entire Bayfront between the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument and the Bridge of Lions into a theatre of sight and sound (click here for a map).
Those attending Fireworks Over The Matanzas should remember two important safety rules that will be strictly enforced:
- Alcohol is prohibited on public property, including parks, streets and sidewalks; and
- Possession of fireworks that explode or leave the ground is illegal and those found with such fireworks will be subject to $100 citation or arrest and will have prohibited fireworks confiscated.
In the event medical assistance is needed, the St. Augustine Fire Department along with St. Johns County Emergency Medical Services will have a base station at the main entrance to the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument and will have personnel roving on bicycles throughout the evening.
5th Annual "Day After" Beach Clean-Up
This community-wide effort will be held the afternoon of next Friday, July 5th, from 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. at six different beach access points throughout St. Johns County:
- Vilano Beach Access Ramp, located at 2725 Anahma Drive, St. Augustine 32084
- A-Street Beach Access Ramp located in St. Augustine Beach
- St. Augustine Pier, located at 350 A1A Boulevard, St. Augustine 32080
- Mickler's Beachfront Park, located at 1109 ½ Ponte Vedra Blvd., Ponte Vedra Beach 32082
- Crescent Beachfront Park, located at 6930 A1A South, St. Augustine 32080
Volcom will award the volunteer with the most trash collected a Volcom Prize Pack at each access point. Continue to keep the right butts on the beach by winning the cigarette butt challenge at the 5th Annual July 5th Beach Cleanup. The volunteer to collect the most cigarette butts will win a pair of Electric Sunglasses. No pre-registration is required and volunteers may show up at any of the locations. All participants will be given a bag for trash, a bag for recycling, and a bag for cigarette butts. More>>
World Golf Village Fireworks
*Dinner and a Movie packages SOLD OUT*
Friday July 5 at 5:30 p.m. World Golf Village celebrates Independence Day with their annual community fireworks, one of the largest fireworks displays in North Florida. More>>
Did we miss an event? Tell us about it at email@example.com.
First Coast News