ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Florida Department of Transportation road crews are scheduled to begin improvements to a stretch of State Road 16 in St. Johns County.
FDOT said in a news release the construction will require both daytime and nighttime lane closures during construction.
The improvements include resurfacing a 5-mile stretch from Green Acres Road east of I-95 to San Marco Avenue. Crews will also add a new sidewalk on both sides of the road from Toms Road which is just west of I-95 to Kenton Morrison Road.
Crews will repair a total distance of 3.5 miles the release said.
In addition to the sidewalk and resurfacing, crews will also:
- Adding left turn lanes onto Green Acres Road and Race Track Road.
- Replacing and extending drainage pipes under driveways, side streets and sidewalk.
- Repairing or replacing sections of driveway where the new sidewalk crosses.
- Repairing damaged sidewalk not already included in the separate sidewalk project.
- Adding handrail along sections of sidewalk.
- Adding wheelchair accessible ramps on the new and existing sidewalks at side street intersections.
The release said lane closures will not occur on weekdays between 7 and 8 a.m. and between 4 and 6 p.m.
Lane closures along the section of State Road 16 from Lewis Speedway to San Marco Avenue will not occur during daytime hours due to high traffic volume.
Lane closures will occur between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. The release said the closures will be coordinated between the resurfacing and sidewalk projects to keep one lane open in each direction during construction.
For questions about the project, visit www.northfloridaroads.com or contact Anita Warming at 1-800-475-0044 or at awarming@FloridaPIC.com.
First Coast News