JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville's youngest murder suspect Cristian Fernandez may still have a plea deal.
The prosecution offered the 12-year-old a plea deal in which he would have to admit to murder.
Fernandez is charged with murder in the first degree and aggravated child abuse. He is accused of hitting his half brother David Galarriago on the head at least twice on March 14, killing him, said State Attorney Angela Corey after a grand jury handed down the decision earlier this year.
SAO: Cristian Fernandez Won't Stand Trial, Spend Life in Prison
In exchange for the deal under discussion, he would face second degree murder charges and would serve his term in a juvenile facility. Fernandez would then be released when he is 21.
The defense has not accepted but Mark Caliel, a prosecutor with the State's Attorney's Office, said he anticipates scheduling a trial date Monday.
But the SAO has not ruled out negotiating a deal.
The mother of Fernandez, Biannela Susana, is scheduled for trial Feb. 27, according to the Duval County Clerk of Courts website.
Susana was indicted in June in the murder of his 2-year-old half brother. Susana was also charged in the case with aggravated manslaughter of a child.
First Coast News