18-hour Yulee SWAT standoff ends peacefully

YULEE, Fla. -- An 18-hour SWAT standoff ended peacefully Saturday afternoon at a Yulee campground when a suicidal man turned himself over to authorities.

The incident began when a 57-year-old man threatened to shoot himself around 9 p.m. It ended when officers fired tear gas into his trailer and he surrendered.

A female companion initially called police when the man threatened to harm himself Friday night, according to Nassau County Sheriff's Office Director of Operations, Roy Henderson.

Nassau deputies responded and negotiated with the man until 3 a.m. When negotiations stalled, deputies decided to call in Jacksonville Sheriff's Office SWAT members to assist them. Negotiators from both departments attempted to talk the man out of the home, but talks broke down when he pointed a gun at officers.

A man who said he watched the standoff unfold said, "I didn't know what was going on. I was sleep. I just kept hollering 'what? What? What do you want?'"

He said he got a knock at the door. "He says 'stay in your trailer. You can't leave. You can't be out here," the man said.

Curtis Jones said he was in Yulee visiting family at the campground when the standoff ensued.

""They told us to stay out of firing range," Jones said.

Neighbors said they had to stay on the campground for hours.

"I was thinking they were going to shoot him. They were going to go in there and dragging him out dead. He was that adamant. He ain't coming out," Jones said.

After authorities say the man pointed a gun at police, deputies were able to get an arrest warrant for the charge of aggravated assault. Soon after, tear gas was fired into the home and he surrendered without a struggle, according to Henderson.

The man was taken to a local hospital for a mental evaluation and will be taken to Nassau County Jail.

People in the area praised the work of both the Nassau County Sheriff's Office and the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

"They did a good job, getting him out of here," Jones said.

Dozens of investigators and other officials were on the scene of Lofton Creek Campground Saturday. The large police presence slowed traffic on nearby A1A for most of the afternoon.

Original Story: The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office SWAT team and deputies from the Nassau County Sheriff's Office are responding Saturday morning to a campground in Nassau County.

Residents of the Lofton Creek Campground in Yulee told First Coast News negotiators are talking to a man who has barricaded himself into a trailer.

Authorities have been on the scene for several hours.

JSO SWAT team was called to the area around 5 a.m.

Residents near the trailer targeted by authorities told FCN deputies asked them to stay inside their homes.

We will continue to monitor the situation and bring you the latest once authorities release more information.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment