LONDON (AP) - Authorities say a British teen has had her stomach removed after she ingested a cocktail prepared with liquid nitrogen, an exotic ingredient often used by bartenders to add a touch of drama to their drinks.
British media say 18-year-old Gaby Scanlon was out with her friends Thursday night in the northern England city of Lancaster when she was hospitalized after having a drink prepared with liquid nitrogen, a super-cooled version of the harmless gas.
Liquid nitrogen evaporates rapidly at room temperature, creating a cauldron effect as water condenses around the glass.
It's not clear how exactly Scanlon managed to ingest the liquid - local police have said they're investigating - but public health officials say it's time to take a second look at its use in bars.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
10/8/2012 2:31:57 PM (GMT -4:00)
First Coast News