MIAMI -- A teenager was recovering Thursday after physicians had to resuscitate him when he smoked laced marijuana.
Christian Farina, 15, was in intensive care for 24 hours after smoking something at school, which he called "mango cheese."
MORE: Man bites dog, eats dog while high on 'spice'
"It's laced. I don't know what type of chemical but it's laced," he said. "Like I started seeing flashes in my eyes, my legs started getting numb and I just fell down."
His father, Alex Farina, said his son passed out when he picked him up from the school clinic Wednesday then had to be resuscitated.
At Miami's poison control center at Jackson Memorial Hospital, doctors say they are hearing from an increasing number of people who have taken designer drugs that cause unusual and dangerous effects like synthetic marijuana.
A psychiatrist said taking these types of drugs may sometimes have irreversible effects.
"The higher the content of the higher the psychosis because now we're targeting another receptor in the brain that is directly related schizophrenia," said Patricia Junquera, a psychiatrist at Jackson Memorial.