Authorities say four children ranging in age from an infant to seven years old, one girl and three boys, died in a Conyers house fire late Tuesday night.
Photo courtesy WXIA
CONYERS, Ga. -- Authorities say four children ranging in age from an
infant to seven years old, one girl and three boys, died in a house fire
late Tuesday night. The fire was in a two story duplex located on
Pinedale Circle in Conyers.
Another child, a five-year-old boy, was injured when the children's
mother threw him from a second floor window and then jumped herself. She
received severe burns and is being treated at Grady Hospital's burn
unit in Atlanta. The boy was transported to Egleston Children's Hospital
with a reported minor shoulder injury.
A grandmother escaped injury but is said to be extremely distraught at the scene.
Conyers Police Chief Gene Wilson said four of his officers were on
the scene within seconds of the fire being reported at 11:05 p.m. and
tried unsuccessfully to put out the blaze with hand-held extinguishers.
Wilson said the bulk of the fire was on the second floor of the home
and while it failed to burn through the roof, windows were blown out by
the fierce blaze. The upstairs portion of the house was completely
Wilson said there had been a fire in the first floor fireplace, but the cause will have to be determined.