The Exserohilum rostratum fungus is the primary cause of a number of meningitis illnesses afflicting people who got steroid injections for pain.(Photo: CDC via AP)
MIAMI -- Health officials say a second deadly case of bacterial meningitis has been confirmed in South Florida.
Miami-Dade County officials say 25-year-old Bryant De La Cruz died Tuesday morning, just hours after first being admitted and discharged from Baptist Hospital. Family members say he was on his way back to the hospital when he died.
Coral Reef High School Student Christopher Valdes died last month within an hour of arriving at Jackson South.
The Miami Herald reports that symptoms of bacterial meningitis include nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light, stiff neck and confusion.
Neither death was related to the recent national outbreak of fungal meningitis linked to contaminated pain injections.